I am asking you to join me for forty days of prayer for the future of America. These forty days will lead up to the 2012 election on November 6. Whether you get in a full forty days or not I encourage you to begin today to pray for America.
America is the greatest nation in the world. She has provided more opportunity for freedom, equality and justice than perhaps any nation ever. But her greatness is in serious danger. Never before has she been in more danger. I believe this election to be one of, if not the most crucial one, in the history of our great land.
All of America’s greatness will change in a dramatic way on November 6. She will either continue down a road that leads to her demise in an unabated way or she will stop the rush to destruction on a dine.
Nothing is more important at this point than prayer. Voting is vital and I will vote but prayer must come first. Standing for and even campaigning for your candidates is good but prayer must come first. Posting signs in strategic places can have an impact but prayer must come first. Prayer must come before everything at this point. Prayer cannot be our last resort. For the next forty days prayer must be our first resort.
Will you MAKE time every day to pray for America? Here are a few suggestions.
- Designate a specific time and pray at that time each day.
- Pray whenever you think of the future of our country.
- Be aware of distractions because Satan does not want you to pray for America. Resist his distractions with all your strength.
- Pray for a specific candidates, issues and results. Get painfully specific.
- Invite and encourage others to join you in praying for America for the next forty days
- Pray together with others whenever possible.
It is good to be reminded that the Bible reveals forty days to be a spiritually significant time period. In fact, in the Bible, any time God wanted to prepare people and circumstances for action, He took forty days. For instance:
- Noah’s life was transformed by 40 days of rain
- Moses’ life was transformed by 40 days on Mount Sinai
- The spies were transformed by 40 days in the Promise Land
- David was transformed by Goliath’s 40-day challenge
- The city of Nineveh was transformed in 40 days
- Jesus was empowered for ministry by spending 40 days in the desert
- And the disciples were transformed by 40 days with Jesus after the resurrection.
I believe that America can and will be transformed by forty days of prayer as we call out to him to lead our great nation toward Him, His principles and His truth instead of farther away. If we will pray, this transformation can go far beyond a four year Presidency term to many, many years to come.
Two questions: will you join me in praying ever day for America for the next forty days? Second question: will you get the word out and invite as many others as possible to join you in these forty days of prayer?
“If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” 2 Chronicles 7:13-15