/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
Summer is a time in which we think about doing all the things we wanted to do during the rest of the year but were not able to do so for one reason or another. The reason might have been that our kids were in school and therefore limited our ability to travel. Another contributing factor might be the weather. Winter weather conditions just flat out limit activity. Summer weather conditions open up limitless opportunities. There’s the mountains, there is the beach, there’s the park, there’s all of the outside things that we thought about doing all winter long.
So summer gives us this long awaited opportunity to enjoy so much more than during the other seasons of the year. We can have more family time, more vacation time, more recreation time, and just more time to do more things.
Here’s an idea. How about using the summer months to not just think about the things we would like to enjoy but also to think about and look for ways that we can connect with people who are living far away from God. If the summer gives us rich opportunities to do things we couldn’t do the rest of the year, it also gives us special opportunities to do things with other people we might not be able to do the rest of the year. So how about looking at using the summer as an increased opportunity for Jesus and the church?
Here are just a few ideas of ideas you might consider:
- Sponsor or throw a street or block party. Invite all your neighbors within a certain distance and just hang out with them and get to know them.
- Invite a specific neighbor to your house for a cookout. Just enjoy the time together. Get to know them better and let them get to know you better.
- Exchange childcare with a friend or neighbor. Give them a chance to get away and do something they have been wanting to do.
- Serve someone who has a specific need that you have been thinking about helping with but just haven’t gotten around to it. The excuse no longer works. Just do it.
- Begin an exercise program with someone you would like to build a relationship with. Not only do you get the relational benefit you get the health benefit as well.
- Go to a sporting event together.
The whole idea is to take advantage of the summer season when it comes to developing relationships and serving others. Everything about following Jesus has to do with relationships and serving the needs of people. No other time of the year gives us the opportunity to do that like the summertime.
And then when the opportunity to talk about spiritual issues might arise venture out as far as the Holy Spirit lead you. Or when the door is open to invite them to a church gathering step through that door and extend the invitation.
However, the rule is, you must build a bridge before you can cross the bridge. Summer is an excellent time for bridge building. Let’s use it for that purpose. Let’s not look back when the fall arrives and say, “I wish I had…” Let’s be able to look back and say, “This has been the best summer I can remember in a long time.”